As you start planning your holiday travels, one consideration that some families overlook is how to keep their home safe while away. But the last thing you want is to come home from vacation only to find that your home has been burglarized. Taking a bit of precaution before leaving can be quite beneficial.
So, how can you protect your home? The quickest answer is to make it look as though it’s occupied. Most home burglars seek out homes that make for easy targets, which are those that look as if no one is around. These easy targets are often dimly lit so the thief can get in and out with a greater chance of going unnoticed.
We’ve compiled a few tips to give your home the appearance that someone is home, even while your family is away.
- Remember to lock the doors and windows before leaving. It may sound obvious, but many home thefts are crimes of opportunity, with an open door or window as the point of entry. Additionally, set the alarm system when away.
- Get a few timers from your local home improvement store so you can set lights to turn on and off throughout the day. You can also set a TV or radio on a timer. This helps create the guise that someone is home.
- Install motion-sensor outdoor lighting around your home, which may be enough to thwart approaching thieves.
- Rather than hiding a spare key under the doormat, simply hand the key to whomever you ask to keep an eye on your home during your travels.
- If someone is watching your house, ask them to collect the mail. An overflowing mailbox is a good sign that a homeowner is away. Another option is to call the post office and ask for the mail to be held during your travel dates.
- If you’ll be gone for a while, arrange for lawn care services during your absence.
Even though these protective measures can help reduce the risk of a break in, that risk will never be completely eliminated. That’s why it’s essential to maintain a comprehensive home insurance policy, and our agents can help you get the right coverage!
We’ve got your home covered. Call Peachstate Insurance at (404) 320-9995 for more information on Atlanta home insurance.